December 5, 2012

Tutorial by Karen

Doubling up your Die Cuts

KAREN

The December Card Kit is full of amazing goodies-perfect for your holiday cards and beyond. Karen from The Bald Dragonfly here to show you a quick way to double up on your die cuts.  I was quite smitten with the twine wrapped deer die cut included in the kit (because of its shape and size) and wanted to make multiple cards!

I unwrapped the twine from the deer and peeled off the adhesive backing, going slow and careful as to not compromise the integrity of the chipboard.

The next step was to position and trace the die cut onto card stock. (For clarity purposes I'm showing this part on white card stock, but as you can see from the above card I used a piece of the lovely green card stock included in the kit) and trace around it with a fine tip marker.

I flipped the die cut and then traced around it, omitting the antlers to create a female deer. Once both deer had been traced, I filled in any missing lines and assembled the rest of the card with strips of patterned paper from the kit as well as a die cut heart. (The sentiment was stamped with a set from my own stash).


So that was one way to double up on your die cuts...but now I've got a card to show you that actually used the real die cut!
Here I customized the die cut to suite my own needs-- I wanted more of a rustic look to match some of the patterned paper included in the December kit.

 I started by sanding lightly some of the pattern off the die cut.

Then I came back with a distress ink pad and foam inker to cover up the scratches and assembled the card with a stamped background, red frill and a patterned paper sentiment-all from the kit! I hope that you'll be inspired to double up your die cuts as well, and this month's Artful Delight Card Kit has just the perfect die cuts to do so!

 

12 comments:

Sherry Eckblad said...

Oh I love Karen's cards.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing that Karen!! I just loveeeeeeeeee your cards!!! GORGEOUS!!

Lisa Echerd said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing. We love to stretch our supplies.

~amy~ said...

lovelovelove
Thanks for the tut too!

LisiB said...

How creative is that! What a fantastic idea! And such a pretty card

Kelly Griglione said...

What a great tutorial! Karen is so super smart. I don't think I've ever thought to trace around a die cut! So in love with how she made a male and female deer for the anniversary card.

Brenda said...

Thanks Karen. This is a wonderful idea and an inspirational tutorial.

MS said...

Karen!!! Love this idea! I hoard some of my pretties because I only have one or two but not any more!!! Back to tracing!

Ashley Horton said...

Great idea Karen!! I love the way both of your cards turned out!!

Rose said...

AWESOME!!!! :)

Chantal Vandenberg said...

This is fantastic!!! :D

Alice said...

very cool techniques and a wonderful way to stretch your supplies. beautiful cards and thanks so much for the tutorial!